Diets without carbohydrates are very popular nowadays, since they are a way to lose weight quickly. Therefore, today we want you to know the good and the bad of this type of diet so that you know its advantages and its risks.
What are Carbohydrates?
Before starting a low carb diet, we should know that they are carbohydrates. They are the ones that give us the energy immediately to the organism.
“A healthy diet should have a minimum of carbohydrates, as they are very important nutrients for our body, giving us energy and vitality quickly”.
What happens is that there are people who ingest these excessively, thus becoming fat and obviously taking a few extra pounds. That is why we must take them in a controlled manner. If we want to lose weight the healthiest is to take less, but we should not do without them altogether.
Diet Without Carbohydrates
The elimination of hydrates in our body is harmful and unhealthy. First of all, the body will convert the muscle mass into a source of energy (catabolism). This means that even when consuming large amounts of protein, the body will reduce muscle mass by providing a source of glucose. Carbohydrates are a source of glucose and the body will look for other places to find it if it is not provided. Another problem is going to be that the muscle burns energies and begins to lose muscle mass, the metabolism begins to diminish and with it the weight will be increased. It is true that the consumption of proteins will increase muscle mass, but the only way to build muscle is when there is a source of carbohydrates.
Health Risks of Diets Without Carbohydrates
But the weight loss due to the water we have lost will not be healthy or productive towards long-term weight loss goals. Following this type of regimen for long months we end up suffering from renal overload and decalcification by the toxins of foods that provide protein, such as meat and eggs. In general, if we want to maintain good health, we should never eliminate anything 100% of our daily menu so as not to punish the body.
Menus for Low Carb Diets
What we can do is a diet low in carbohydrates but without getting rid of them from the diet. As I said earlier, carbohydrates will give us the energy we need. Low-carb diets are diets that are designed to lose weight quickly, but are not diets to do for a long time since these have their risks as I mentioned earlier.
Foods Allowed in Low Carbohydrate Diets
There are some foods that are allowed although they contain carbohydrates. Foods that contain white flour and sugar are not allowed in the low carbohydrate diet. On the other hand, most fruits are restricted but there are some that are allowed. The number of grams of carbohydrates allowed varies by person. Some can take 20 grams of carbohydrates, while others can take 50 to 60 grams per day that has to be valued by a doctor or specialist.
- All types of meat, whether white or red, are allowed, except for the liver
- We should not include stuffing when cooking or breaded
- When we eat canned meat we will have to read the label to have the information about the carbohydrates it contains.
- All kinds of fish
- Seafood (oysters have some carbohydrate)
- Of all the ways in which they can be prepared
- Up to 50 grams per day
- Low starch, green vegetables
- We must restrict the vegetables with starch such as potatoes, carrots, peas, corn …
- We have to avoid those that contain a high index of sugar, such as watermelons, bananas, citrus fruits, pineapple…
Advice When Making a Diet Without Carbohydrates or Low in Carbohydrates
When we are going to make a diet low in carbohydrates, it is advisable to keep in mind that we should not do without them at 100%. I give you some tips below to follow them when making a low carb diet:
- Whenever it is not advised against by a doctor, we will take 2 slices of whole grain bread at breakfast, since in the morning it is when we need to have more energy and the only way is with certain carbohydrates.
- We must include in our breakfast a good contribution of proteins, which we must take all day, but especially it is good to take them in the morning since as we have all day to burn their calories, we will lose weight more quickly.
- We must include fruits and vegetables in our diet. These will give us vitamins, minerals, and fibers, as well as being low in calories, which will not fatten us. We must consume at least 3 to 5 pieces during the day. In the snack and dinner, we include low-sugar fruits and vegetables such as orange, apple, lettuce or spinach.
- We will take lean red meats, among which are chicken breast or turkey or fish, as these are high in protein but low in fat.
- Boiled or water-washed eggs are the most recommended at the time of dieting. If you have a cholesterol problem, what you should do is take only the clear one.
- You can take up to 50 grams of cheese a day, but it is advised that you take it at breakfast, because we will have all day to burn your calories and fats.
I am sure that with these tips you can make a diet without carbohydrates or at least low in carbohydrates.